- Prof. Balbir Barn is giving the following talk to the UK Government Dept of Levelling Up and Communities (the Chief Scientific Advisor’s Office) on the topic of “Sociotechnical Digital Twins for Complex Decision Making.” See the abstract below.
- A tutorial on “Digital Twin as a Decision-Making Aid in the Face of Uncertainty” was delivered by Prof Barn and the team at the ACM / IEEE 25th International Conference on Model Driven Engineering Languages and Systems (MODELS’ 22)
- Another tutorial on “A Model Based Approach to Simulation and Digital Twins” was delivered by the team at the ER 2022 conference.
- Two papers on sociotechnical digital twin were accepted for 2022 IEEE 24th Conference on Business Informatics (CBI) and ACM / IEEE 25th International Conference on Model Driven Engineering Languages and Systems (MODELS). See details below.
- A talk to Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities:
A new silver bullet is in town. You will have heard extensively about digital twins and how they can be applied in multiple domains and for a range of different purposes. A particularly pressing problem that you are wrestling with is understanding how digital twin technology can be applied to aid in your decision making requirements in the context of uncertainty. This introductory seminar provides you with a detailed understanding of why digital twins are an important technology for exploring the unique phenomena of complex sociotechnical ecosystems that are typically found in your contexts. The talk will outline the problems of definition, methodological and validation challenges and the relationship to simulations more broadly. In addition, there will be a focus on methodologies for designing sociotechnical digital twins. An illustrative case study derived from the Levelling Up White Paper will be used to showcase methodological approaches and limitations of the use of sociotechnical digital twins.Prof. Balbir Barn on his talk “Sociotechnical Digital Twins for Complex Decision Making.”
- 2. Two recent research papers on sociotechnical digital twin:
i) Barn, Balbir (2022) The sociotechnical digital twin: on the gap between social and technical feasibility. 2022 IEEE 24th Conference on Business Informatics (CBI). In: 2022 IEEE 24th Conference on Business Informatics (CBI), 15-17 June 2022, Amsterdam, Netherlands. e-ISBN 9781665460163.
ii) Barat, Souvik, Kulkarni, Vinay, Clark, Tony and Barn, Balbir (2022) Digital twin as risk-free experimentation aid for techno-socio-economic systems. MODELS ’22: Proceedings of the 25th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Model Driven Engineering Languages and Systems. In: ACM / IEEE 25th International Conference on Model Driven Engineering Languages and Systems (MODELS), 23-28 Oct 2022, Montreal, Canada.. [Conference or Workshop Item] (Accepted/In press)